Top Israeli generals approved plans to call up tens of thousands of reservists to begin operations in some of Gaza's most densely populated areas. The military will operate in parts of Gaza City where it has not yet operated and where Hamas remains active. Israeli troops are already operating in the Zeitoun and Jabaliya neighborhoods to prepare groundwork for the expanded operation, pending chief of staff approval. The planned call-up will add 50,000 reservists in the coming month, nearly doubling active reservists to 120,000. The stated objectives are to secure remaining hostage releases and prevent future militant threats. The planned offensive has raised international condemnation and fears of mass displacement among Palestinians sheltering in the city, while mediators and Hamas say they have agreed cease-fire terms and Israel's response remains unclear amid coalition opposition to a phased deal.
JERUSALEM An Israeli military official said on Wednesday that the country's top generals had approved plans to call up tens of thousands of reservists in order to begin a new phase of operations in some of Gaza's most densely populated areas. Speaking on the condition of anonymity in line with military regulations, the official said that the military will be operating in parts of Gaza City where the Israeli military has not yet operated and where Hamas is still active.
The official said 50,000 reservists will be called up in the coming month, nearly doubling the number of active reservists to 120,000. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said earlier this month that the objective was to secure the release of the remaining hostages and ensure Hamas and other militants can never again threaten Israel. Hamas-led militants started the war when they attacked Israel on Oct. 7, 2023, killing some 1,200 people, mostly civilians, and abducting 251.
Collection
[
|
...
]