No place is safe': families flee Gaza City as Israel vows to press on with offensive
Briefly

Israeli aircraft and tanks intensified strikes on Gaza City's eastern and northern outskirts, destroying buildings and homes in Zeitoun, Shejaia, Sabra and Jabaliya. Explosions lit the skies, caused panic, and prompted some families to flee by vehicle and rickshaw, while others refused or lacked means to leave. About half of Gaza's roughly 2 million people live in Gaza City, and a few thousand have already departed. Residents reported repeated relocations within the city and fears of a heavier invasion involving heavy fire. Israel approved an expanded offensive to seize Gaza City while mediators Egypt and Qatar try to resume ceasefire talks before forces enter the city centre.
Israeli aircraft and tanks have pounded the eastern and northern outskirts of Gaza City destroying buildings and homes, as Israeli leaders vowed to press on with an expanded large-scale offensive on the city. Witnesses reported the sound of continuous explosions overnight from Saturday night into Sunday morning in the areas of Zeitoun and Shejaia. Meanwhile, tanks shelled houses and roads in the nearby Sabra neighbourhood and several buildings were blown up in the northern area of Jabaliya.
Fire lit the skies from the direction of the explosions, causing panic and prompting some families to stream out of the city. Other residents said they would prefer to die and not leave. About half of Gaza's roughly 2 million people currently live in Gaza City. A few thousand have already left, carrying their belongings on vehicles and rickshaws. I stopped counting the times I had to take my wife and three daughters and leave my home in Gaza City, Mohammad, 40, told Reuters.
Others said they would not leave, despite the explosions. We are not leaving, let them bomb us at home, said Aya, 31, who had a family of eight, adding that they could not afford to buy a tent or pay for the transportation, even if they did try to leave. We are hungry, afraid and don't have money. Israel approved a plan earlier this month for an expanded military offensive to seize control of Gaza City.
Read at www.theguardian.com
[
|
]